What is Uniterra ?
- A program developed and managed by World University Service Canada (WUSC) and the Canadian Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI)
- The biggest international volunteer program in Canada
What is a Uniterra ‘Leave for Change’ ?
- An international cooperation program that enables employees to transform part of their annual leave into a 2 or 3 week volunteer assignment in a developing country to address world issues such as HIV, human rights, and world poverty
- Allows employees to contribute their skills and advice to an international development project with the support of professionals in the host country
Uniterra Program Overview
- Employee participates in a 2- or 3-week volunteer program using their own vacation time
- Uniterra manages the volunteer selection process
- Employer covers part of the cost of the Leave for Change project
- Additional commitments required pre- and post-assignment
As a company, Abbott works through its Global Care Initiatives to improve access to HIV/AIDS care in the developing world. But four employees at Abbott Canada felt the need to get involved on a much more personal level. Dianne Stephens, Matthew Steele, Tiffany Stone and Michael Gregson volunteered with an AIDS service organization (ASO) in Malawi. Here are few pictures from that project :
To read the article about their volunteer assignment, please click here.